We provide consultancy services for a complete range of rail-based systems, from high-speed railways to urban transport systems, such as metro and light rail – including planning, design, approval, operational and commissioning services. Our technical expertise encompasses the design and delivery of permanent way, traction power, overhead catenary systems, interlocking systems, signalling, traffic management, telecoms and rolling stock.
As a truly multidisciplinary practice, we combine the technical knowledge of our experts with the expertise of our colleagues in other Ramboll service areas, enabling us to deliver fully integrated transport solutions. A particular strength we bring is in the pre-planning stage, providing detailed feasibility data to support investor-grade assessment of markets and service propositions.
We take a consistent approach to quality and safety – we are as keen on getting the details right as we are on developing the best overall concept.
Our consultants are also highly experienced in working with national and international codes and standards (EN and UIC). We actively participate in industry workshops and forums to help set new standards and drive rail innovation forward.
Public and private sectors
Ramboll provides services to the public and the private sectors, including all major stakeholders in the railway market. Through this diversity we have developed a thorough understanding of the various client requirements in the market and a depth of understanding that enables us to solve the complex challenges involved. Our clients include:
- Government ministries
- Railway authorities and infrastructure agencies
- Rail operators
- Contractors and suppliers
- Rolling stock owners and investors
- Private investors, banks and financial institutions
We maintain a strong focus on client requirements and expectations through all stages of projects, ensuring proper risk management at all times. In the adoption of the latest technical innovations from around the world and their integration into local transport infrastructures, we make sure they meet local regulations and standards.
Our rail experts have diverse backgrounds in a wide range of relevant fields, including infrastructure and business management, traffic and project management, finance, engineering, safety and risk management. Their expertise, combined with Ramboll's more than 30 years' experience as a consultant in the industry, provides us with in-depth technical knowledge and strong networks in the market.
- Masterplanning, detailed planning, studies and system design
- Design, engineering, maintenance and the renewal of technical systems
- Tendering, evaluation and contracting
- Implementation of rail solutions
- Project and construction management and supervision
- Traffic forecasting, modelling and simulations
- Traffic management and operational analysis
- Operation and maintenance
- Environment, HSE and sustainability
- Safety & risk, RAMS and validation
- Noise, vibration and acoustics
- Management and finance
- Life cycle cost analysis
- Business management
- Organisational development